Thread: hdmp files -- can I delete them?

hdmp files -- can I delete them?

Atleast 30 percent of my hard drive is occupied with svchost.exe.Numbers.hdmp files. All this are located in the c:\windows\pchealth\ErrorRep\UserDumps. It seems to appear to be old reports on irregular shut down. Will it be fine to delete all these files? Thanks for any help.

Re: hdmp files -- can I delete them?

Yeah, you can try to run the Disk Cleanup that will help you to do that, just click on Start and then Run and then type "cleanmgr" without the quotes.

You will be able to configure to handle memory dumps in more than one way. If these dumps are taking so much space then deleting old one changes the setting. Go to Start > Control Panel > System > Startup and Recovery. Check under Write Deugging Information change to Small Memory Dump (64 kb). Alternatively for a Full Memory Dump place a check in the Overwrite box
    below. Are you short of disk space? How large is your Windows partition and how much free disk space is there?

Thanks for the replies, I tried what you said, but the Disk Cleanup will not remove these files from the directory windows\pchealth\ErrorRep\UserDumps. So can anyone tell me how to delete them from that directory, in which they go back 2 years to when I purchased the computer.

For that you can use a software called Ccleaner. It is an alternative to Disk Cleanup which does a more thorough job than Disk CleanUp. Disk CleanUp has to be run for each user profile, whereas cCleaner only needs to be run once. Download it by searching it on the net and install it in your pc.

Also check for some errors in the event viewer. Check the article on "How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP" from the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427/en-us