Thread: spoolsv.exe application Error that just will not go away

spoolsv.exe application Error that just will not go away

I am laptop that is running on Windows XP and recently I upgraded it to Service Pack 3 and installed a new printer. After that I am getting the below error message constantly:
    Spoolsv.exe - application error
    The instruction at "0x00000000" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

It will happen on boot and if you try to start the print spooler under services. I am also getting some more errors about components of spool failing. I have done many things but nothing is solving the case for me. Can anyone please help.Thanks

Re: spoolsv.exe application Error that just will not go away

You might be having some Permissions issues in the Spool folder, so check the below article on how TO Move the Spool Folder in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q308666

It could be that one of the 'dependencies' for the print spooler service is the Dcom stuff. This again point at some Permissions error in the Registry. I would reset that to defaults. Check the method for solving setup errors by using the SubInACL tool to repair file and registry permissions:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...04/739820.aspx

Re: spoolsv.exe application Error that just will not go away

After you have deleted the spoolsv.exe you also have to delete the associated .dll file spoolss.dll. Delete both of those then reboot they will automatically be replaced on reboot, check if this works for you.

It can be possible that you cannot print and you receive the error message "Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs to close". So try to look at this microsoft kb article here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810894

The link that you gave me solved the problem although the instructions are very hard. I found a second machine with the same problem (the same printer had been installed) and this time I removed only the drivers that came with that printer and also only the reg entries that were to to with a canon3200 printer - and had the same result without having to reinstall the drivers for the other printers - not sure which way was quickest. Thank you