Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Can't Rename a File Using WinXP Command Prompt!!!

Windows XP Support

Old 02-05-2008

Can't Rename a File Using WinXP Command Prompt!!!

I am using Windows XP pc here. O am trying here to rename certain files but that does not looks to be working well. I tried to rename some folders using command prompt. When I run the command it takes more than 15minutes to give result. The rename process just does not work at all. I had also changed the directory just to ensure that the process is not halted. I am here using DIR command. I think I am right on my side. I am having huge list of folders to rename. I am trying to create a batch script here that will do the job

Old 02-05-2008

Re: Can't Rename a File Using WinXP Command Prompt!!!

There are some third party software that can help you to do what you are looking for. Using cmd will be a bit complicated. There is a tiny utility available on web called as ReNamer. This tool can help you to simply rename all the folders inside a directory instantly within few seconds. I am using this from long time and it really works well. There is no problem with the same at all. I hope you will find this helpful.
Old 02-05-2008

You can also do the same using a Linux Live CD. It can help you to rename the folders as per your need. The commands are also quiet easy. You can download any light version of Linux Live CD from web and boot in that. The syntax used for the same is mv oldname newname mv /path/oldfolder /path/newfolder. It will take sometime for you to practice this completely and then you can move ahead with the renaming process.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,