Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

disk read error on XP install

Windows XP Support

Old 29-04-2008

disk read error on XP install

My PC is having a 40GB of hard drive. The drive failed to work. So I added a new one with more capacity. It is a new 300GB hard drive. I had created 3 partition on the same. When I try to install the XP I am getting disk read error. Through the bootable disc I was able to format the drive. The file copying also goes well. But just when the setup started the system restarted and popped out disk read error. I am unable to figure out the cause behind it.

Old 29-04-2008

Re: disk read error on XP install

Just ensure the hard drive is connected well or not. First verify the connectivity and then go in bios and look the drive. See it is visible or not. You can use some diagnostic utilities. There are ample of them available. Through them you can simply scan the hard drive for errors and it will be more helpful for you to deal with common hard drive errors. If it is a new drive then I will recommend you to ask for replacement. It looks like there is some problem with it.
Old 29-04-2008

Re: disk read error on XP install

What kind of drive you are having. SATA or IDE. If you have SATA then you will need to press F6 to install SATA driver. A number of xp editions lack SATA driver which gives you such error. Just keep the sata driver ready with you in usb and use the F6 prompt to provide the driver. But if it is IDE and not working well then the issue lies with hardware. You will need to change the connectivity ports, cables and other stuff.
Old 06-05-2008

I got the same issue with a 320GB hard drive. I was already having a 80Gb drive on my pc. I added that to gain more space. The drive was detected well in bios but does not work fine with xp installation. I used a bootable hard drive scanner which showed me bad sectors in it. I contacted the buyer and asked for replacement. Sometime it happens that you get a damaged device at the time of purchase.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,