Thread: Changing Write Protection on Files and Folders

Changing Write Protection on Files and Folders

I want some help with changing the write protection of File that are marked as read only on my system. I am not able to locate a proper way of doing the same. I had tried to remove the read only attribute but it is not allowing me. The file still looks like locked. I am using Windows XP and the folders are created in different account. There are two accounts in my system and both are admin. I am facing problem with modifying the pictures in the pc. How to remove write protection of the same.

Re: Changing Write Protection on Files and Folders

Those files are locked by the other account. You can do one thing here. Just copy those files in a separate folder. When you copy them you will simply get full access to modify the files and it will work really fine. There will be no problem with the modification. You can use a third party program that can allow you to edit the same as per your need. It is quiet easy. While you can leave those files as locked.

You can only remove the permission if you have the full rights. The admin privileges. If you do not have the admin rights then you cannot modify the file permission. And even if there multiple admin accounts in the pc, you can manage the files easily. I am sure the account that you are logged in right now is not the admin account. There is tool called as unlocker which can help you to unlock the write protected files.

Unlocker is an tiny tool that works fine with this kind of files. A number of time due to virus this kind of issue appear. I got the same issue when my system was infected with trojan and some files in the same were locked. I was not able to delete those folder. I used unlocker and it worked. There is no problem at all. You just need to install it first and then right click on the locked files/folder and choose unlock.

Check the below link. The link has ample of information on problem you are facing. You can simply check the tools or process in the link below and fix the file permission problem. Unfortunately there is no good tool for that. You need to login in the existing account only to access your files. Just check the link and see whether you are able to modify the file permission or not.

You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows Vista or in Windows 7