Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Windows Internet Explorer - This Program is Not Responding

Windows XP Support

Old 11-04-2008

Windows Internet Explorer - This Program is Not Responding

Hi, this is Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3. I use the default Internet Explorer 7 as my default Web browser. Since a week or so i started egtting problems with the browser. It keeps freezing every now and then, no matter which website your are browsing. If it is left ideal, it wont freeze but if you even open a Google.com, it gets freeze completely with an error message saying "This Program is Not Responding".

I dont know what made it to behave like this but i suspect it started right after a routine Windows update or after I downloaded the latest Windows Live update. Because i remember after the updates i visited my gmail account and that was the first time when IE freezed. I really need to get rid of this problem because i dont even remember on which website it worked properly.

Please help.

Old 11-04-2008

Re: Windows Internet Explorer - This Program is Not Responding

Did you tried running Internet Explorer in Safe Mode? I mean IE without Add-ons? Does it freezes yet also? If you haven't tried it yet, do it because i suspect any of your Add-on creating the problem. You can do this by going to Start > Run > type iexplore.exe -extoff and press Enter.

If your browser works fine without Add-ons then try enabling the add-ons one by one and notice which add-on is causing the freeze. Once found simply disable it permanently or better uninstall it.
Old 11-04-2008

Thanks for the help Amadeus. I think you were right. The problem was with Add-ons itself i think because i am running the Internet Explorer in Safe Mode and so far there is no freeze problem. Now i will give a try enabling them one by one and see if the problem persists.
Old 12-04-2008

The best way i know for dealing with Internet Explorer Add-ons is by going to Control panel > Internet options > programs tab > click manage addons. Here first sort out the third party add-ons because the culprit most probably use to be from the 3rd party itself. First enable all the MS addons and disabling the others. Then use the normal IE shortcut to test for stability. Let me know if you need any more help.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,