Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Missing file <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

Windows XP Support

Old 08-04-2008

Missing file <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

I am getting the above error when my computer boots up. I have tried to download a new startup disk several times on my laptop but it will not work at all. I have also downloaded a program that makes the six disks, it begins and the prompts appear but when I type in D for the drive then nothing happens. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks.

Old 08-04-2008

Re: Missing file <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

This error can occur if any or some of the following conditions are true:
  1. The Default value in the [Boot Loader] section of the Boot.ini file is missing or invalid.
  2. Windows XP is not installed in the location specified in the Boot.ini file.
  3. The Ntoskrnl.exe file is missing or damaged.
  4. The partition path in the Boot.ini file is not set correctly.
  5. General hardware failure.
So to solve this error follow the steps given here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477
Old 08-04-2008

You will need to get a XP installation CD to copy the file from. You can also accomplish the same thing if you had a copy of the correct file from another installation or XP installation CD and then put it on a floppy or CD to allow you to copy it to your system from outside Windows.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,