Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

WinXP retail CD + oem XP key = invalid????

Windows XP Support

Old 04-04-2008

WinXP retail CD + oem XP key = invalid????

I got some issue in activating the copy of Windows XP that I have. The laptop came with preinstalled XP which was working fine. I actually gave it to a friend who installed linux on it, reformatting the Windows install partition. I have tried to use a retail copy of XP to install but it will not accept the Oem Windows key on the sticker that is under the laptop. Please help

Old 04-04-2008

Re: WinXP retail CD + oem XP key = invalid????

I think that your laptop must come with some steps to restore it to an factoy default state. It is possible with the parition on the hard drive and not a set of the CDs. They also want you to create your own set of CDs via an application of process on your laptop to make the recovery cd. You can try to find some Generic Oem copy of Windows XP and get yourself a copy that way.
Old 04-04-2008

I dont think that an Oem key will work with a retail disk. Most of the computer manufacturers provide a way to reinstall or restore. Can you tell us what is the make or model of your laptop. If the steps to restore your system was on a hidden partition that is now gone, then you will have to ask your friend to buy a generic oem copy of Windows XP for you, which will work for sure.
Old 05-04-2008

I think that you will have to use the Recovery method that is provided by the laptops manufacturers. So for that you need to contact the manufacturer on their website or either check the manual of the laptop.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,