Thread: How to configure the UPS

How to configure the UPS

Hello,

I have a desktop computer running with ASUS P4P800 Mobo and Windows XP Pro operating system. You can call me a newbie as I don’t have good information about computers. Today I was just cleaning up my system during which I reach to Event Viewer and found several entries saying “my UPS was not configured correctly”

I don’t have any idea about UPS and how to configure it properly? Can anyone of you please help me out with the same?

Thank you.

PS--Re: How to configure the UPS

Hello Godley, before I can suggest you anything about the configuration and that error, I would like to know few more info about your UPS. Cany you just tell me if the UPS come with its own software? If yes, what software? Apart from that also let me know how is the UPS connected with the system? I mean is it connected with the USB, Serial, Power cord, etc?

Re: PS--Re: How to configure the UPS

I really appreciate your help Winckle but as i said i a a newbie, i dont know how to answer your question because i have no idea what is UPS ans how is it connected to the computer.

Can you please provide me some instructions to answer your questions?

nass Guest

RE: PS--Re: How to configure the UPS

Hello Godley, UPS stands for Uninterruptible Power Supply, you can get more information about the same at this Microsoft Page: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true

As far as UPS configuration is concerned, just go through the following steps:
    In order to configure UPS, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

• Open Power Options in Control Panel.
    • On the UPS tab, click Configure.
    • In the UPS Configuration dialog box, change one or more of the following settings:
    • Enable all notifications

Select this check box if you want the Windows Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) service to display a warning message when the computer switches to UPS power. You can specify the number of seconds to wait before displaying the initial power failure warning message and the number of seconds that must elapse before displaying subsequent power failure messages.

Critical alarm
    • Select the Minutes on battery before critical alarm check box if you want Windows to allow the computer to run on UPS for a set number of minutes before the critical power alarm.
    • Select the When the alarm occurs, run this program check box if you want Windows to run a program or task when the UPS activates the critical power alarm.

1.Click Configure.
    2.In the UPS System Shutdown Program dialog box, in Run, type the program or task to run before the UPS shuts down the computer, or click Browse to search for a program or task.
    3.On the Schedule tab, customize the task's schedule as appropriate.
    4.On the Settings tab, customize the settings for scheduled task completion, idle time, and power management as appropriate. In the Next, instruct the computer to list, click the system state you want the computer to enter when the critical power alarm occurs.
    5. Select the Finally, turn off the UPS check box if you want the UPS to shut down when the computer is shut down.

Note
    To open Power Options, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Power Options. The command file must reside in your systemroot\System32 folder and have one of the following extensions: .exe, .com, .bat, or .cmd.

You cannot specify a command file that causes a dialog box to appear, because dialog boxes that require user input can impede a graceful system shutdown. The command file must finish running in 30 seconds. A run time that is greater than 30 seconds threatens the capability of Windows to complete a graceful system shutdown.

After configuring UPS options, be sure to test your UPS configuration to confirm that your computer is protected from power failure. The options for configuring the UPS service depend on the specific UPS hardware installed on your system. Incorrect settings can cause undesirable operation of your UPS hardware. For details about possible settings, see the documentation for your UPS device.

Using Power Options in Control Panel, you can adjust any power management option that your computer's unique hardware configuration supports. Because these options may vary widely from computer to computer, the options described may differ from what you see. Power Options automatically detects what is available on your computer and shows you only the options that you can control.