Thread: Can't change file association for DOS batch files

Can't change file association for DOS batch files

I have installed Windows XP. Just recently I went into the file associations page of Explorer / Tools and changed the file association setting for editing batch files from the default Notepad to my favored editor EditPad Pro. Today when I tried to run a batch file, instead of if running, it opened in EditPad Pro. I was thinking that it might be easy to change the setting for running such a file, but when I went into the file association page, ms dos batch files were not found anywhere? Can anyone tell me how to solve this? Thanks.

RE: Can't change file association for DOS batch files

You can go to Start and then Rum and then type cmd. In cmd type Sfc /Scannow and Install xp cd and then exit the info page. Once its through, then remove cd and then type:CHKDSK C: /F and agree to restart. After that type EXIT and then restart the computer.

Re: Can't change file association for DOS batch files

Well, you can try to run the .BAT file association fix:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Re: Can't change file association for DOS batch files

Thanks for the workaround, the registry patch did work flawlessly. But I would still like to associate my text editor for editing batch files, where the context menu appears when right clicking a batch filename in the Explorer that has its edit choice linked to something other than Notepad. Can you tell me a way to do that without once again causing a double click of the filename to merely open the text editor to that file?

Hello
    I'm running XP Pro SP3 French.
    My right clic menu on a .bat file is different depending of the folder where the bat file is.
    If the bat file is in a subfolder of the start menu, then i can see "edit print and open with".
    If the bat file is on the desktop or in "my document", the right click menu is smaller and do not show edit, print etc...
    I already tried the BAT file association fix.

Can you help me?

Can you check whether the desktop or my document batch files be shortcuts? Right click the Icon then click properties and tell us what they say. If the Properties say anything about Target and then the batch file name, then they are shortcuts to the batch file. If it says Type of file and Description with the batch file name then it is the actual file. The right click menu will be different for each type of file in this case (shortcut or actual file.)

Those files aren't shortcuts.
    They are real bat files.
    I attached 3 screen images.

Attachment 7716

Attachment 7717

Attachment 7718

I do not understand why, in most cases, I do not have access to the full menu.