Thread: Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly

Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly

I have a small network with 10 PCs running on Windows XP Pro SP2. I have also installed a network printer for all. Earlier it was working fine but now none of my uses are able to print anything. No matter they try to print a document, an email, or even a webpage , they simply get an error message on the screen. When I checked the Event Viewer I found the following listed in the logs:

Error 7031
    The Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

My server is running on Windows Server 2003. Can you please provide some help on this? Thank you.

Re: Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly

Most probably it is the problem of drivers. To me it seems like the drivers are corrupting the memory in the spooler process on the client and hence the problem occurred. And the reason behind this would be multiple connections to different driver versions conflicting on the client. You should try working on the same and fix the drivers.

I appreciate your help supremer but can you please tell me what do i ned to do with the drivers? Should i uninstall printer drivers from all machine including Server an re-install the same?

Thanks again.

Yes, very similar to that/ Make use of ntsd in system32 to attach to ser.dmp or watson dump files.( ntsd -z dumpfilename; type k at the prompt, this will hopefully dump a dll that you can trace back to a printer driver).

If you have a drwatson.log file in the \windows directory, search for FAULT. Let me know the results.

Well as per me the problem seems to be with SNMP when Sp 2 is installed. To fix the same, Click Start > RUN > Type ‘regedit’ and hit Enter. Now navigate to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\Standard TCP/IP Port\Ports

Export this key to a file, edit the same and make the following changes:

Find: "SNMP Enabled"=dword:00000001
    replace: "SNMP Enabled"=dword:00000000

Now save the file and merge. Restart Print spooler from Services applet. That’s it. Problem should be fixed.