Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Blank desktop after login

Windows XP Support

Old 18-03-2008

Blank desktop after login

Hello we run a network which has over 1500 users running with Windows XP Service Pack 2 system. Couple of months ago, I remember I user complained us that when he logged in he saw a complete new desktop with blue background and no icons on the desktop. We suggested him to log out and login again. He did the same and on next login he got his old desktop with icons and wallpaper back. That time we dint tool it seriously but now there are more than 25 users facing the same problem.

I tried searching for solution regarding this on Web but dint found anything working. Most of the articles on web says that we need to delete a file named ?SHDOCVW.DLL?. The problem occurs when this file is corrupted. They said to delete the file and reboot to let Windows auto generate the file again. I did the same but it dint helped.

So can anyone please provide me some working solutions. All my 25 users are still not getting their desktop icons.

Old 18-03-2008

Re: Blank desktop after login

All those articles were correct. Usually it happens because of a corrupted SHDOCVW.DLL file but as it is not working in your case I strongly suspect there would be some registry entry for your user?s profile that is corrupt. In order to fix the same you should try this utility: Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,