Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How do I transfer Files and Settings from PC to PC via a cross over cable?

Windows XP Support

Old 16-03-2008

How do I transfer Files and Settings from PC to PC via a cross over cable?

I got a new laptop and I want to transfer files and setting from the old laptop. Both machines are on Windows XP. The built in System Tools File and Settings Trasfer Wizard requires a cable I dont have, however I have a cross over cable but dont know how to use it. Can anyone tell me a way to transfer files and settings from PC to PC via a cross over cable? I think the cross over cable is an Ethernet cable, its the same as I use to plug into the lan at work. Any idea? Thanks

Old 16-03-2008

Re: How do I transfer Files and Settings from PC to PC via a cross over cable?

The method that you are describing is not the only way to make the transfer. A simpler solution will be to use an inexpensive USB thumbdrive. Check the below article for the complete steps and ensure to use the same and latest version of the wizard on both systems:

http://winsupportcenter.com/win5/a/fast.htm
Old 28-04-2010

so if you have a huge file, say your video from vacation, you will not be able to take the brilliant solution suggested above.
Old 28-04-2010

Which all type of files you want to transfer? There are lots of small files that take longer than fewer number of larger files. Also, the antivirus might be slowing things down as it does a scan. The best that you can do is use a gigabit switch because crossover cables are fine when networking products like routers and switches were very costly but it is not the case now a days.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: