Thread: unable to sign in to Windows Live Messenger

unable to sign in to Windows Live Messenger

I frequently use Windows Live Messenger on my Dell laptop running with Windows XP Pro SP3. My messenger was working fine until yesterday night when I turned off the system but today morning I booted it again, it is no more accepting my Live ID. I tried login in with the same User ID / Password on other Microsoft sites and email accounts, it works fine but not only in the messenger.

Another problem is whenever I put the Username and password and hit enter, live messenger freezes complete for a minute and after it comes back with an error message saying: “connectivity error message”. Well there is no connectivity problem on this PC as I am already browsing comfortably. I thought upgrading live messenger can fix the problem. Hence updated it to v8.5 but yet the same result.

Can anyone please help me out of this? Many Thanks.

RE: unable to sign in to Windows Live Messenger

Hello ragan, you are not alone with the problem friend, count me into. and surprisingly even i started getting this exact problem today itself. I went to several troubleshooting steps since past 8 to 10 hours but nothing had worked so far. Search internet and applied fixes but no success.

And just like you even re-installing Live Messenger doesn't makes any difference. So if you find any working solution for this, please let me know as well and so i do. Thanks.

Sure steve. By the way on another forum I guy suggested me to rest or change the password. I did the same but that doesn’t makes anything better. Event changing the PC doesn’t effects, I mean no matter on what computer I try to login, it wont accept my password. So it is sure that there is nothing in my computer’s registry that could be causing this problem.

So the problem is somewhere right between MSN my username/password. That is what I am not able to figure out. Hope some one from here can do the same.

RE: unable to sign in to Windows Live Messenger

hey, seems like mine is fixed. During these times i went through several troubleshooting steps and i dont know which one of them might have worked here. By the way the last one i did was deleting my identity under Local Settings and Contacts on both my computers. I dont whether this worked or it was just a matter of time. But for whatever reason - it works. So i will suggest you also to go through the same and see if it fixes for you.