Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Cannot logon to XP after changing network settings

Windows XP Support

Old 14-03-2008

Cannot logon to XP after changing network settings

I need some help with network settings on my system. I am having a Windows XP pc here and after reboot when I try to login it does not work. When I enter the username and password and press enter it gives me a error that The system could not log you on. Make sure your username and domain are correct. My user name and password is correct. I think the issue caused when I used Network setup wizard to change the network settings. I changed that from a business network to a home network. And the issue started appearing. What should I do to fix the issue.

Old 14-03-2008

Try to modify the pc workgroup. I am sure that will be enough to fix the problem you are facing. For that juts right click on My Computer and choose Properties. Go to the Computer name section and verify the workgroup. You will have to put the pc back on the network and then only it will work. Or else you will keep on getting the error. Just change the workgroup settings and then test back. You can also run network wizard for the same.
Old 14-03-2008

Re: Cannot logon to XP after changing network settings

I had gone through the same issue before. The issue was actually associated with the workgroup settings. But as mentioned above it was resolved when I modified the work group. There was no error at all. It is essential that you must once again run network wizard so that the server on the network would be able to identify the pc. It is one of the most easiest way of fixing the network related issue you are facing. Just test back the same and try.
Old 14-03-2008

According to me only reinstalling XP might be the only solution left. Because here you are not able to put your system back on the network a number of time. I had actually gone through the same issue a number of time but still it does not work well. The last thing I did is simply re-installed xp back again from scratched and it worked. There is no issue at all. So it is essential that you must try to run a clean setup back to avoid the error.
Old 14-03-2008

I want to know one thing here. When the system on which you are working was joined to the Domain, at that time have you been able to use a
Local account on it. I am not talking about the server account. What happen if you do the same under safe Mode. Just create a local account and then test back. I am sure that will be simply enough to fix the problem you are facing. If nothing work then you have Reformat and Clean install xp back again.
Old 01-11-2010

You're welcome.

John[/quote]

I had basically the exact same problem as charlbury and was getting extremely frustrated. However, by using John John's advice I was able to unlock the Administrator password, enter windows, and restore to a previous point before I attempted to set up a home network and in turn lock myself out of my work computer. I owe it all to this thread.

Thanks guys!

MagicRoy

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,