Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Start Menu's Run command does not display previous commands

Windows XP Support

Old 13-03-2008

Start Menu's Run command does not display previous commands

I am having 2 computers that are running on Windows XP SP2. On one of these, commands entered in the Open box of the Start Menus run command are saved and can be scrolled through even after a restart or cold start. On the other pc, the open box is always blank when the system boots. So, can anyone tell me if there is a registry setting to enable commands entered into the Open box to be saved to disk? Thanks.

Old 13-03-2008

RE: Start Menu's Run command does not display previous commands

Can you try to right click the start Button and select properties then click on Start Menu tab, click on Customize Button. After that on the Customize Start Menu window click on Advanced Tab and make sure this check box is selected: [ ] List my most recently opened documents [ Clear List...]

Also when you perform a clean up on your HDD or other Software you elected to do so this list will disappear!
Old 13-03-2008

RE: Start Menu's Run command does not display previous commands

Thanks for the reply, but if I am trying to check that box has no effect on the behavior of the Run> Open dialog. Do you have any other ideas?
Old 13-03-2008

Re: Start Menu's Run command does not display previous commands

Can you try to check if the entries are in the registry are present and that there are also no missing letters in-between in the list under the Name column. A reg search for "runmru" will get you to the proper places.
hkcu\software\microsoft\windows\current version\explorer\runmru hku\s-1-5-21-more numbers\software\microsoft\windows\current version\explorer\runmru

For other info that may help scroll down to run here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_qr.htm
Old 14-03-2008

I have solved the issue now, I downloaded MS PowerToys' TweakUI, and in that I choose "Clear document history on exit" that was checked. After I unchecked it, the MRUs in the Start Menu>Run>Open box were saved on shutting down.
Old 18-08-2008

I am also having similar issues but when tried your suggestion to change the value for ClearRecentDocsOnExit, but I don't have that key in the path
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows\ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer.

Anyone has any other suggestions for me please?

I am using XP Prof SP-2 with Symantec EndPoint Protection.

thanks in advance!

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: