Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

XP forces logoff at logon.

Windows XP Support

Old 12-03-2008

XP forces logoff at logon.

I have tried many ways but it is not working for me. If I am trying to boot in XP, everything loads fine until user selection menu. There is only one user exists, choosing it forces automatic log out back to the choose user screen. If I am trying to boot into safe mode, monitor reports "cannot display video mode" [LCD] ("out of range" on TV and CRT). I tried to boot up into Ubuntu using a live CD that gives the same cannot display video mode error. I was trying to boot and reinstall or repair install XP from a Dell XP disk reports being unable to find hard drives? Can anyone please help.

Old 12-03-2008

RE: XP forces logoff at logon.

I also tried to do ctrl+alt+del and entering administrator didnt work and gave message 'Unable to log you on because of an account restriction'
Old 12-03-2008

RE: XP forces logoff at logon.

Incase you can access "recovery console", normally done by booting to XP cd, in recovery, type: Fixboot Type:ChkDsk C: /R Type:Exit and let XP start. Otherwise, tap F8 key on start-up, select safe mode, enter xp as administrator, edit user accounts, starting XP.
Old 16-03-2008

Re: XP forces logoff at logon.

You can try to boot to Safe Mode with Command Prompt and run a System Restore. Check the below link on how to start the System Restore tool by using the safe mode option with the Command prompt in Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: