Thread: Driver Install | Fatal error during installation. Cannot install.

Driver Install | Fatal error during installation. Cannot install.

Hi, i need some urgent help from you all guys. I am using a Windows XP Professional laptop with Service Pack 2. Internet Explorer 7 is my default browser. Now the problem i am facing is the error mentioned in my subject title while trying to install driver for Motorola Q9H Smartphone USB Modem. The problem started recently about a week ago. When i connected my Motorola phone with the laptop using its USB cable, i saw a new 'New Hardware Wizard' running and trying to install the device as well its drivers. But after few seconds, it ends up saying:

"Cannot Install this hardware
    There was a problem installing this hardware:
    SmartPhone Wireless USB Modem

An error occurred during the installation of this hardware.Fatal Error during installation"

I tried few troubleshooting to get rid of this such as using the installation CD which came along with the phone, also tried downloaded driver from the web but yet the same error message everytime. However when i tried installing the same on other computer, it works fine. Then whats the problem with my laptop? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Driver Install | Fatal error during installation. Cannot install.

As you said the problem has started recently i think you should try repairing the USB hub drivers. You can do this by going to Start > RUN > type "DEVMGMT.MSC" without quotes and press Enter. Now select the USB Root Hub device(s) and click Action menu, click Uninstall and reboot the laptop. On next reboot dont do anything. Let windows search and install the appropriate srrivers for itself automatically.

If this doesn't works, then simply do a system restore to any earlier date when your problem started. It should fix the problem.

Re: Driver Install | Fatal error during installation. Cannot insta

Thanks for the help buddy but my USB Hub is working fine. ANyways, i tried the steps you said and still the problem remains. Anyways, meanwhile i tried many things and here is an small update from there. It seems to boil down to the following error connected with the ATT/Cingular communication manager software used to allow the Smartphone to talk to ATT network. I could not uninstall the ATT Communication Manager in order to install the latest version of the software. Also the one on my laptop related to another USB Modem from Sierra Wireless on ATT. Every time it ends up with an error message saying:

"ERROR 1721:
    There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnell or package vendor.
    Action: FilterDriver_Uninstal.1A63B4C7_A86D_4C49_B64C_21BF146D813F.
    Location: C:\Program Files\Sierra Wireless\TRU-Install\Drivers\Drt Int.exe
    command -r"

What now?

Hello Jocosa. Forget everything and just try out the following Windows Installer CleanUp Utility: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;290301

I am sure it will make you get rid of this issue.

Thank you very much for the help Patter-Son. The CleanUp Utility really helped me to get rid of ATT communication manager. I was able to remove the older one and installed new ATT communication manager comfortably but yet the half of the problem remains. After installation when i restarted the laptop and connected the phone as 'Modem' mode, i still get an error message saying:

'Fatal Error during Installation. Cannot Install Hardware'

What else to do?

SO one thing is for sure that problem is with the smartphone driver itself. As you have already tried so many troubleshooting but still the conflict remains, i guess it is with a recent update. I would go thru the updates to define what went in before the failure. You can do a 'custom' install if you turn off auto-update, and tell it not to ask you for that one again.

Re: Driver Install | Fatal error during installation. Cannot install.

Not sure if anyone is still hoping for an answer here, but you can probably fix this by renaming the c:\windows\system32\drivers\wdf01000.sys to wdf01000.old. (See this URL: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/...19460272.aspx).