Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Repairing XP Media Center Edition with an XP home SP2 disc? Safe?

Windows XP Support

Old 06-03-2008

Repairing XP Media Center Edition with an XP home SP2 disc? Safe?

I got a laptop that came preinstalled with Media Center Edition which is now giving me some sort of problems with blue screen errors. I was having this issues with a few months back and was able to simply do a system restore to solve this issue, but, I am not able to restore because it is disappeared. The DVD-r drive will not recognize cd or dvd-r media properly, the user accounts except for the admin account have disappeared and when I try to remove them they are not getting listed. If I try to re-create them, then MCE tells me they already exist. But I dont have the installation disc for this system. I do have a XP disc that came with the desktop computer but. So, will I be able to use this disc to do a repair for MCE without any issues? Thanks

Old 06-03-2008

Re: Repairing XP Media Center Edition with an XP home SP2 disc? Safe?

Well, dont you have any recovery disk with your system or a recovery partition perhaps? Did you check the documentation that came with the notebook and what is the make and model of it? Since you want to do a repair with XP home, I have some doubt that the windows are very different. The XP disc that you have is for desktop and cannot be legally used to install on the laptop.
Old 06-03-2008

Thanks for the reply, the laptop is acer aspire. I dont have recovery disk or documentation because I purcahsed it as a floor model. Incase I am able to install XP on it, then I would like to only make sure that it will be paritioned properly and that these errors are eliminated.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,