Thread: Repairing XP Media Center Edition with an XP home SP2 disc? Safe?

Repairing XP Media Center Edition with an XP home SP2 disc? Safe?

I got a laptop that came preinstalled with Media Center Edition which is now giving me some sort of problems with blue screen errors. I was having this issues with a few months back and was able to simply do a system restore to solve this issue, but, I am not able to restore because it is disappeared. The DVD-r drive will not recognize cd or dvd-r media properly, the user accounts except for the admin account have disappeared and when I try to remove them they are not getting listed. If I try to re-create them, then MCE tells me they already exist. But I dont have the installation disc for this system. I do have a XP disc that came with the desktop computer but. So, will I be able to use this disc to do a repair for MCE without any issues? Thanks

Re: Repairing XP Media Center Edition with an XP home SP2 disc? Safe?

Well, dont you have any recovery disk with your system or a recovery partition perhaps? Did you check the documentation that came with the notebook and what is the make and model of it? Since you want to do a repair with XP home, I have some doubt that the windows are very different. The XP disc that you have is for desktop and cannot be legally used to install on the laptop.

Thanks for the reply, the laptop is acer aspire. I dont have recovery disk or documentation because I purcahsed it as a floor model. Incase I am able to install XP on it, then I would like to only make sure that it will be paritioned properly and that these errors are eliminated.