Thread: Problems with Winsock provider catalog

Problems with Winsock provider catalog

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 series computer running with Windows XP. Due to some unknown reason suddenly I got disconnected from the computer. When I try to connect the same, it gives me an error message saying: "Problems with Winsock provider catalog". Along with the message I also get a dialogue box with an automated option to fix the problem. When I click on the same, nothing happens. Though I get a confirmation saying ‘Successful’ I still get the same error message everytime connecting to the printer.

Could it be because of a Spyware? I am asking this because I recently had a spyware on my system but removed it successfully from the system. Somebody please help.

You should have also mentioned details about your Windows edition and Service Pack if any. Just login with Administrator account, open Command Prompt and run the following commands:

netsh int ip reset
    netsh winsock reset

Now restart the system. Remove extraneous Layered Service Providers (LSPs) that are on the affected PC and not on a known working PC.

Sorry for the incomplete details. It is XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2. I tried following your suggestions and ran netsh int ip reset command. As soon as i hit enter i received an error message saying:

"Initialization function inithe1perdll in ipmontr.dell failed to start with error code 11003. One or more essential parameters were not entered. Verify the required parameters and reenter them. The syntax supplied for this command is not valid. Etc."

Why is this error? Anyway, after this i tried running netsh winsock reset command and that also came up with a similar error code 11003. But just after few seconds i got the following message: "Successfully reset the winsock catalog."

I rebooted the system as you said but unfortunately still the problem persists. What is wrong yet?

My pc is doing the same thing, do you know what program you used to fix the problem? i am running a Dell XPS 400 I have ran a Registry cleaner program called REGCURE. I have tried the commands in the command line (netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and netsh winsock reset). I do not know what else to do. i thought maybe my ethernet card went bad so i just purchased a new one i am waiting on it. if someone knows how to fix it please let me know so i can return the ethernet card before i install it.
    Thank you
    Daly0602

Sorry, the problem i am having is i can not get connected to the internet. When i try it says the page can not be displayed. When i run the diagnostic tool it says Windows detected a problem with the winsock provider catalog. it says resetting it should fix the problem so i tell it to reset it then it tells me to restart the computer. Once i restart the computer the same thing happens. Its like my computer is not configuring or establishing any tcp/ip settings. Thank you

I realy appreciate your help. i tried everything you said and when i type the ipconfig commands it just says: "An internal error occurred: The request is not supported. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help. Additional information: Unable to query host name." Now when I did the winsock commands there was no error message but i am still having the same problem. I also downloaded the program you said and it said that no errors were found. Please let me know if there is anything else i can do or try. I ordered a new ethernet card and it should be here tomorrow do you think that will work? When i contacted my ISP they said that they were not receiving a signal that my modem was connected to my computer, so what i did was connected it directly to my laptop and then they did get a signal so they told me my ethernet card was probably bad. I just didnt think so because i never had a problem before my internet always worked, but now im starting to think that maybe i need a new one.

Here are a few things to try:Open Internet Options, Connections tab, click "Lan Settings" button, deselect all.

Flush DNS

Click Start, Run, type CMD and click the [OK] button. Type each of the following:

IPConfig /FlushDNS [Press Enter key]
    ipconfig /release [Press Enter key]
    ipconfig /renew [Press Enter key]
    ipconfig /registerdns [Press Enter key]

NETSH

Click Start, Run, type CMD and click the [OK] button. Type the following:

netsh winsock reset

Press Enter key. Restart the system You can also try this software download from a working machine:

LSP-Fix

Why are you still stalking myself and others PCBUTTS? Stalking via the internet is a crime.

Re: Problems with Winsock provider catalog

I have never came through such situation hence dont have any personal experience but as i too wanted to know the fix for this, i did a search and found the following in MS Knowledge Base. I think you should follow the same to get rid of the problem permanently.

• Click Start, and then click Run.
    • In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    • In Registry Editor, locate the following keys, right-click each key, and then click Delete:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
    • When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    • Restart the computer <====== this is a must
    • After rebooting Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.
    • Click Install.
    • Click Protocol, and then click Add.
    • Click Have Disk.
    • Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.
    • On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.

If Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) does not appear, follow these steps:
    • Click Start, and then click Search.
    • In the Search Companion pane, click More advanced options.
    • Click to select the following three check boxes:
    • Search system folders
    • Search hidden files and folders
    • Search subfolders
    • In the All or part of the file name box, type nettcpip.inf, and then click Search.
    • In the results pane, right-click Nettcpip.inf, and then click Install.
    • Restart the computer.

If a restart of the computer gets the ethernet card (NIC) to work, try this:

Open Device Manager, open the properties on your ethernet card, click
    the Power tab, and deselect "Allow the computer to turn off this device
    to save power".

You can do the same thing with a USB device by disabling the power
    saving feature of all "USB Root Hub" entries.

If you can email or post to newsgroups, or PING sites, the problem isn't
    with the NIC.

Where is what? I never posted what you quoted.

Where is this?????

@ Real Truth - you did post that so you're forgiven for it being a little ambiguous.

After about 3 hours of trying trying trying to outsmart and get past and figure out why even though it said "you are connected" and not being connected, I did a system reset. Yay!

Up and running and on line and all is good (except that strange factory desktop photo!)