Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Removing shortcut arrow from desktop icons?

Windows XP Support

Old 03-03-2008

Removing shortcut arrow from desktop icons?

Can anyone tell me how to remove the little arrow that appears on desktop shortcuts in the bottom left corner of the icon? It seems to me that the icons will look better without the little arrows, and I dont have reminding that they are shortcuts after I created almost all of them anyway. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2008

Re: Removing shortcut arrow from desktop icons?

The best way to solve this issue would be to get the TweakUI from the Powertoys for Windows XP.
Old 03-03-2008

Re: Removing shortcut arrow from desktop icons?

It could be that you will not be able to tell the difference between shortcuts and other programs and links.
Old 03-03-2008

Follow the below steps:
  1. First of all go to start and then run and then type regedit.
  2. After that navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTlnkfile
  3. Now you have to try to delete the IsShortcut registry value.
  4. After that simply restart Windows XP.
Old 03-03-2008

Thanks for the replies. But I am not able to find that tweak in TweakUI, can you tell me the procedure? If there is, then where is it because I cannot find it and have just been through all the options available, but looks like I am missing something.
Old 03-03-2008

You can remove the arrows with a registry edit or more easily and more safely by using the free TweakUI, downloadable as part of Microsoft PowerToys from the below links:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/w...s#2TC=featured
Old 07-03-2008

When you have installed the program then click on the + next to Explorer and then click on Shortcut and click on Shortcut Overlay to None. You should be running the TweakUI for Windows XP, that can be accessed from Programs > PowerToys for Windows XP > TweakUI and not an earlier version.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,