Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

how do you change the desktop icons name background to transparency

Windows XP Support

Old 02-03-2008

how do you change the desktop icons name background to transparency

Hey guys. I need a bit help. I recently changed a wallpaper on my Windows XP desktop. Since then all test of my shortcut icons have blue background whereas they all were transparent earlier. Now even though I revert back the wallpaper to the earlier one, the blue background over icon text remains there.

I checked all display properties settings but I dint found anything related to this transparency settings. This blue background on each text looks weird. Can anyone here please tell me how can I revert them to transparent?

Many Thanks.

Old 02-03-2008

It is very simply dude. Just go through the following. Just go to the System Properties by right clicking My computer > Properties or Simply hold Windows Key and press Pause/Break button. Now go to Advanced Tab, click Settings under “Performance” section. Now On the "Visual Effects" tab, make sure the box "Use drop shadows for icon labels" is checked.

That’s it. Save and go back to desktop. Right click any empty space and select properties, Click Customize Desktop under Desktop Tab and uncheck all boxes on the "Web" tab. Save the settings and you will see the blue background is gone and you have transparent background on texts.
Old 02-03-2008

re: how do you change the desktop icons name background to transparency

Hello Gafoor , Open Control Panel, System, Advanced, Performance area, Settings button Visual Effects tab "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the Desktop"

You are done.
Old 18-04-2008

re: how do you change the desktop icons name background to transparency

1. Right-click the "My Computer" icon and select "Properties"
2. Select the "Advanced" tab
3. Click "Settings" under "Performance"
4. Choose "Custom"
5. Scroll down to "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop"
6. Uncheck it
7. You may need to Log off or restart for it to take effect

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,