Thread: Boot.Ini and recovery Console

Boot.Ini and recovery Console

I am using Windows XP. I had actually upgraded form Windows ME and the upgrade process failed due to which my system is not booting up problem. I am using a laptop here. The upgrade process was not moving ahead. It was stuck and when I restarted the system I got a error on screen. The error is related to invalid Boot.ini. Now it is not going at all. I tried to go in recovery console but I am not aware of using it. How can I fix my system.

Looks like problem with boot.ini file. Do you have Windows XP installation CD. That is one of the best way to fix the issue. You will need to install xp back again. It is always recommended that instead of upgrading you must install the same from scratch. So that you get a far more stable system. Or else it will keep on crashing.

Your system can be fixed by rebuilding the boot.ini file. That is the only way left I think. To fix it you have to first go in recovery console. When you enter in that you have to type bootcfg /rebuild and hit enter. Once you hit enter the bootcfg tool will scan for OS in your system and give you list on your screen. Press Y later on and then restart. You will require windows bootable disc to configure the boot.ini file.

There is no other way to rebuild the boot.ini file. You have to use the recovery console only and if that also fails then you will need to re-install windows xp. I hope you are having a windows installation disc. If not then you have to install windows me back in to your system and run the upgrade again. Or else download any edition of windows xp from web and activate it using your license key.

Re: Boot.Ini and recovery Console

If nothing works then there is one more thing you can try. You can try using Windows XP repair installation. It is another good way of dealing with boot failure. Just restart your pc with xp disc and in that choose repair installation. That is the best way to fix a number of windows issue. I think it is also capable of fixing a different number of boot problems. While if this also does not work then you have to install windows from scratch.

The boot.ini file in windows xp tells the system about os location. And to give you a more proper output you can check out the link below. It has ample of information on your problem with resolution. You will need to arrange a windows installation disc under all circumstances. Because without it, you cannot fix the boot.ini file. There is no ready to use utility available that can help you to simply fix the boot file.

"Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start" error messages when you start your computer

Thanks for the info. I was also facing the same kind of problem here. The boot.ini does not work well due to which my system failed to system. I used windows xp installation cd to rebuild the file and it worked. There was no issue with the same. The command bootcfg /rebuild has done the job. It is easy. Once thee command is interpreted properly the system starts to boot. Unless and until there is no major flaw. Or else the last option left is to format is completely and install windows xp from scratch.

If your system works fine then I will advice you to keep a copy of boot.ini file in your system. You must always do this before performing upgrade. Because if there is any major bug or problem with your system while loading, then the backup of boot.ini can help you to getting your system back to normal. It is quiet simple. Just type sysdm.cpl in Start > Run box and hit ok. In that click on Advance > Settings > Startup and Recovery > System Startup > Edit. Copy the content.

The following link below gives you ample of information in fixing the boot.ini file. It is easy to fix it if there is no other major flaw in the system. Try to follow the steps below and then check back. Any of it will be helpful for you.

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP