Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Repairing/replacing corrupt system files

Windows XP Support

Old 27-02-2008

Repairing/replacing corrupt system files

I am using an old HP computer with Windows XP SP2 that was working fine. We planned to increase the ram to 384mb on it. It didnt have any kind of antivirus program installed. After we installed Avast free recently it found 100+ trojans and viruses, etc. All of this files were moved to the Quarantine chest and now it tells that the following are system files:

C:\command.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winsock.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsock32.dll

So I restored these files through Avast and they now all indicate no virus. But how can we get these files back in to the operating system without having to reformat and reinstall since the recovery cds are very old? Can anyone please help.

Old 27-02-2008

You can try to get these files from the i386 folder of the SP2 Cd. The file that you have you copy if the kernel file, and it must be of the same service pack as the installed system. The winsock files are for network communication and not quite so urgently needed.
Old 28-02-2008

Re: Repairing/replacing corrupt system files

I would recommend you to do a complete reformat and reinstall by making new parition in the drive, it will be much faster and there will be no issue of virus as well.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: