Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Problem downloading Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1

Windows XP Support

Old 26-02-2008

Problem downloading Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1

I am using Windows XP Service Pac k 2 on my home desktop PC. As of now it has Microsoft Windows Installer 3.0 installed. I want to upgrade the same to version 3.1. I tried doing the same though Automatic Updates but don?t know why it gets failed every time with the following error code:

Installation Failure
Error Code: 0x80070005

Few articles on Web says we can fix this error by renaming few dll files such as msi.dll, msihnd.dll and msiecex.exe. I did the same. Renamed this files by adding ?old? in the start of their names and tried again installing Windows Installer 3.1 through updates but yet the same result.

Can anyone please tell me how you guys update to the v3.1?

Old 26-02-2008

Re: Problem downloading Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1

You should try out the alternate way. Instead of downloading and installing Windows Installer from Windows Updates, simply download it from the following Microsoft Download Center http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en. Save the file on your hard drive, somewhere in D or E drive. Restart the computer and boot into Safe Mode. Now run the setup file to install. You will not face any error or problem with the installation.

Hope it helps.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,