Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Windows XP won't boot correctly

Windows XP Support

Old 26-02-2008

Windows XP won't boot correctly

From last week I am not able to properly boot the computer to Windows. When I turn on the computer and dont press F8 then the windows screen will come up, load and then I will get a black screen with the hourglass that does not go away. Also sometimes it will start normally and then freeze after a little while. I am able to boot to safe mode and safe mode with networking. I have already done system restore, msconfig, and many virus scans but nothing works. Can anyone tell me any other things? Thanks.

Old 26-02-2008

Re: Windows XP won't boot correctly

When you are in safe mode selection screen next time, then try to select boot logging. After that boot up when it fails to boot into safe mode and then examine the log file.
Old 26-02-2008

Go to Start and then Run and then type : SFC /SCANNOW

Incase that doesnt work, then do a repair setup which is non-destructive to settings or data:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964
Old 26-02-2008

Incase safe mode works, but the normal desktop mode doesnt, then the problem might be some program or service that starts in normal mode, but not in safe mode. The issues can be related to either video drivers, sound drivers, antivirus, firewall, or other application related services. So, you can try to uninstall and then reinstall or repair your computer to fix the issue.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: