Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Error Deleting file or folder

Windows XP Support

Old 26-02-2008

Error Deleting file or folder

I am getting the below error message:

Cannot delete (name) : Data error (cyclical redundancy check).

I wanted to delete a picture and this occured more than on one file. Does anyone know about a solution? Thanks.

Old 26-02-2008

Re: Error Deleting file or folder

You will just have to right click on the drive icon in Windows Explorer > Properties > Tools menu > "Error Checking" and that will sort the problem for you.
Old 26-02-2008

Thanks but it is not able to complete the disk check and I am still getting error message when trying to delete? Do you have any other method?
Old 26-02-2008

It seems that you have a bad hard drive since disk checking is failing. You should backup the data quickly. If you will boot to a XP setup disk then it will let you to run recovery console. You can then try to do CHKDSK /R and see if that solves the issue. For more information on the Windows XP Recovery Console check the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;314058
Old 16-10-2008

You could try turning off Simple File Sharing, or, get a free program called "unlocker". I use unlocker and have had excellent results.
Old 20-11-2010

Oh i had the same problem, these files become stacked and are due to long paths, use the tool called long path, it is a tool which deletes and also searches such undeleteable files and also assists in installation and sharing of long pathed files.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,