Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

chkdsk utility

Windows XP Support

Old 18-02-2008

chkdsk utility

This is Windows XP system where I am facing some problems with a file called permdata.box. As it is a System file I thought running chkdsk utility will fix the problem. Hence I ran chkdsk C:/f/r to fix the corrupt file. It finished successfully but after a reboot a still get the same message. Additionally now it also says that C:\system volume information corrupt run chkdsk.

I have no idea what could be causing these problems. My kids use to play games on this system, could that be the reason? Hope anyone here can help me out to get rid of this message. Thank you.

Old 19-02-2008

RE: chkdsk utility

Nope, games cannot be the cause of problems because they are just a program like others in the system. To me it probably seems to be a faulty hard drive. Can you hear any sounds like clicking? that is a sure sign if you do. Just check and let me know the results.
Old 19-02-2008

RE: chkdsk utility

Thank you very much for the help Vanilla but there is no any clicking sound from the hard drive. Also let me tell you that twice or thrice a month i get the following error message:

"permdata.box is corrupt do chkdsk run" and "The System Volume Information is corrupt run chkdsk."

By the way can you just tell me what exactly is permdata.box ?

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,