Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Cannot Copy All Files From Hard Disk

Windows XP Support

Old 17-02-2008

Cannot Copy All Files From Hard Disk

I am having a desktop system with Two hard drives running Windows XP SE. Due some unknown reason the system got corrupted and it is completely unusable now. When I contacted Microsoft guys for help they suggested me to reformat the system. That?s fine but I want to copy everything on my both drives including boot disk to the secondary disk before formatting the drive on which Windows is installed.

Now the problem I am facing is when I try to copy files from C: to my secondary disk, using Windows Explorer, it gives me an error message saying ?Access denied, can't find file on primary volume, etc.? I don?t know why I am not having access though I am the only Admin of this system. I know there could be permission problem with system files as the data is corrupted but about my documents and all. I am not able to copy them as well.

Can anyone please tell me how can I copy my Data from C drive to another hard drive ? Please help.

Old 18-02-2008

Re: Cannot Copy All Files From Hard Disk

If it is not allowing to copy from Windows Explorer, try doing it from Command Prompt. Open a cmd prompt and use Xcopy. There are switches to copy everything. (xcopy /?)

Let me know what happens.
Old 18-02-2008

Just boot your system into Safe Mode by tapping F8 key on restart and copy the documents. You will surely face problem if you are trying to copy sys files.
Old 18-02-2008

Thank you very much for the helps guys. Thank you for the suggestion. I will give it a try. As
Old 18-02-2008

Hence you should always keep your important Data apart from C drive and at same place. It makes easier for backup. Anyways, if you are using a default winxp sys then all data should be present under My Documents, Favorites folders and similarly emails are stored somewhere else.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,