Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Rdbss.sys BSOD

Windows XP Support


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-02-2008
Speck
 
Posts: n/a
Rdbss.sys BSOD

Hi all,
I'm suffering of an annoying problem on Windows XP Sp2, always
up-to-date with security patches, firewalled and virus proteted by AVG
(always updated as well).
Briefly, when my USB ADSL connection is on (no matter whether I've
been working or not with internet applications), the PC hangs in an
odd way: everything *looks* normal, but the connection isn't working
anymore and when I try to switch the connection off, I realize that
the whole usb I/O isn't working anymore.
I can open some O.S. forms (i.e. control panel, etc.), but not others
(i.e. task manager). If I try to run other applications a message
similar to the following appears:

"cannot find '/idlist,:xxxx:yyyy,'. Make sure you typed the name
correctly, and then try again"

Poking around the event viewer I can find some errors thrown by "svr",
ID 2019. But as long as I switch off that svr service, the problem
remains, so it's likely to be a consequence rather than a cause.
However, when I try to restart the system, I receive a BSOD with
0x00000D4 stop code, indicating rdbss.sys as the culprit.

What I already did:
=> I checked that no hw/sw installation have been carried out recently
=> I switched off all the services that aren't microsoft using
start->run->msconfig->services->hide all MS Services->disable all
=> I extracted the original rdbss.sys from the WinXP-SP2 original CD
=> I checked for viruses with AVG, apparently no problem

Now that the obvious things didn't work, I'm pretty puzzled about how
to proceed. Any suggestion?

--
Ciao, | R: Perche' incasina l'ordine con cui si legge un messaggio
Speck | D: Perche' quotare sotto da' cosi' fastidio?
| R: Quotare sotto.
| D: Qual e' la cosa piu' seccante su usenet e in e-mail?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-02-2008
Mark L. Ferguson
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rdbss.sys BSOD

BSOD's in XP are hardware/driver related. I would suspect a corrupt USB
driver.

Go to Start/Run, and type DEVMGMT.MSC , highlight the USB Root Hub
device(s), Action menu, "Uninstall", then restart Windows, to find the
device drivers again automatically.

--
Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales....htm#RateAPost

Mark L. Ferguson

..
"Speck" <il_grasso@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:je63r3p7bfqnsk7v69irrqu0teojlk2ehk@4ax.com...
> Hi all,
> I'm suffering of an annoying problem on Windows XP Sp2, always
> up-to-date with security patches, firewalled and virus proteted by AVG
> (always updated as well).
> Briefly, when my USB ADSL connection is on (no matter whether I've
> been working or not with internet applications), the PC hangs in an
> odd way: everything *looks* normal, but the connection isn't working
> anymore and when I try to switch the connection off, I realize that
> the whole usb I/O isn't working anymore.
> I can open some O.S. forms (i.e. control panel, etc.), but not others
> (i.e. task manager). If I try to run other applications a message
> similar to the following appears:
>
> "cannot find '/idlist,:xxxx:yyyy,'. Make sure you typed the name
> correctly, and then try again"
>
> Poking around the event viewer I can find some errors thrown by "svr",
> ID 2019. But as long as I switch off that svr service, the problem
> remains, so it's likely to be a consequence rather than a cause.
> However, when I try to restart the system, I receive a BSOD with
> 0x00000D4 stop code, indicating rdbss.sys as the culprit.
>
> What I already did:
> => I checked that no hw/sw installation have been carried out recently
> => I switched off all the services that aren't microsoft using
> start->run->msconfig->services->hide all MS Services->disable all
> => I extracted the original rdbss.sys from the WinXP-SP2 original CD
> => I checked for viruses with AVG, apparently no problem
>
> Now that the obvious things didn't work, I'm pretty puzzled about how
> to proceed. Any suggestion?
>
> --
> Ciao, | R: Perche' incasina l'ordine con cui si legge un messaggio
> Speck | D: Perche' quotare sotto da' cosi' fastidio?
> | R: Quotare sotto.
> | D: Qual e' la cosa piu' seccante su usenet e in e-mail?


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 13-02-2008
Gerry
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rdbss.sys BSOD


The version of rdbss.sys on my computer is 5.1.2600.2902, which came
post SP2.

Have you installed available updates? Mine came with KB914389 in June
2006.


--



Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Speck wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm suffering of an annoying problem on Windows XP Sp2, always
> up-to-date with security patches, firewalled and virus proteted by AVG
> (always updated as well).
> Briefly, when my USB ADSL connection is on (no matter whether I've
> been working or not with internet applications), the PC hangs in an
> odd way: everything *looks* normal, but the connection isn't working
> anymore and when I try to switch the connection off, I realize that
> the whole usb I/O isn't working anymore.
> I can open some O.S. forms (i.e. control panel, etc.), but not others
> (i.e. task manager). If I try to run other applications a message
> similar to the following appears:
>
> "cannot find '/idlist,:xxxx:yyyy,'. Make sure you typed the name
> correctly, and then try again"
>
> Poking around the event viewer I can find some errors thrown by "svr",
> ID 2019. But as long as I switch off that svr service, the problem
> remains, so it's likely to be a consequence rather than a cause.
> However, when I try to restart the system, I receive a BSOD with
> 0x00000D4 stop code, indicating rdbss.sys as the culprit.
>
> What I already did:
> => I checked that no hw/sw installation have been carried out recently
> => I switched off all the services that aren't microsoft using
> start->run->msconfig->services->hide all MS Services->disable all
> => I extracted the original rdbss.sys from the WinXP-SP2 original CD
> => I checked for viruses with AVG, apparently no problem
>
> Now that the obvious things didn't work, I'm pretty puzzled about how
> to proceed. Any suggestion?



Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 13-02-2008
Speck
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rdbss.sys BSOD

"Gerry" <gerry@nospam.com>:

>
>The version of rdbss.sys on my computer is 5.1.2600.2902, which came
>post SP2.


Yes, build 2902 was the one I had. I guessed that it could be somehow
corrupted and I extracted the SP2 original one, but nothing changed.
I'm going to restore the build 2902, as it seems clear there's no file
corruption.


--
Ciao, | R: Perche' incasina l'ordine con cui si legge un messaggio
Speck | D: Perche' quotare sotto da' cosi' fastidio?
| R: Quotare sotto.
| D: Qual e' la cosa piu' seccante su usenet e in e-mail?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14-02-2008
Speck
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rdbss.sys BSOD

Speck <il_grasso@hotmail.com>:

>Hi all,
>I'm suffering of an annoying problem on Windows XP Sp2, always
>up-to-date with security patches, firewalled and virus proteted by AVG
>(always updated as well).
>Briefly, when my USB ADSL connection is on (no matter whether I've
>been working or not with internet applications), the PC hangs in an
>odd way: everything *looks* normal, but the connection isn't working
>anymore and when I try to switch the connection off, I realize that
>the whole usb I/O isn't working anymore.
>I can open some O.S. forms (i.e. control panel, etc.), but not others
>(i.e. task manager). If I try to run other applications a message
>similar to the following appears:
>
>"cannot find '/idlist,:xxxx:yyyy,'. Make sure you typed the name
>correctly, and then try again"
>
>Poking around the event viewer I can find some errors thrown by "svr",
>ID 2019. But as long as I switch off that svr service, the problem
>remains, so it's likely to be a consequence rather than a cause.
>However, when I try to restart the system, I receive a BSOD with
>0x00000D4 stop code, indicating rdbss.sys as the culprit.
>
>What I already did:
>=> I checked that no hw/sw installation have been carried out recently
>=> I switched off all the services that aren't microsoft using
>start->run->msconfig->services->hide all MS Services->disable all
>=> I extracted the original rdbss.sys from the WinXP-SP2 original CD
>=> I checked for viruses with AVG, apparently no problem


Some further news. Following Mark's advice, I uninstalled and then
reinstalled the usb drivers, but it didn't work. I suspected RAM chip
failure, but Memtest, run for more than 10 hours, didn't report any
problem.
I've then discovered a very interesting thing: the problem comes even
if I don't do absolutely nothing with the PC after boot. For a strange
case, I switched on and I had to go for a while, so WinXP was waiting
for the user password. After one hour, I wasn't able to log on anymore
with the message:
The application failed to initialize properly (0xaddress ).
Click on OK to terminate the application

Unfortunately, there's no indication about which application failed.


--
Ciao, | R: Perche' incasina l'ordine con cui si legge un messaggio
Speck | D: Perche' quotare sotto da' cosi' fastidio?
| R: Quotare sotto.
| D: Qual e' la cosa piu' seccante su usenet e in e-mail?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19-02-2008
Speck
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rdbss.sys BSOD

Speck <il_grasso@hotmail.com>:

>Speck <il_grasso@hotmail.com>:
>
>>Hi all,
>>I'm suffering of an annoying problem on Windows XP Sp2, always
>>up-to-date with security patches, firewalled and virus proteted by AVG
>>(always updated as well).
>>Briefly, when my USB ADSL connection is on (no matter whether I've
>>been working or not with internet applications), the PC hangs in an
>>odd way: everything *looks* normal, but the connection isn't working
>>anymore and when I try to switch the connection off, I realize that
>>the whole usb I/O isn't working anymore.
>>I can open some O.S. forms (i.e. control panel, etc.), but not others
>>(i.e. task manager). If I try to run other applications a message
>>similar to the following appears:
>>
>>"cannot find '/idlist,:xxxx:yyyy,'. Make sure you typed the name
>>correctly, and then try again"
>>
>>Poking around the event viewer I can find some errors thrown by "svr",
>>ID 2019. But as long as I switch off that svr service, the problem
>>remains, so it's likely to be a consequence rather than a cause.
>>However, when I try to restart the system, I receive a BSOD with
>>0x00000D4 stop code, indicating rdbss.sys as the culprit.
>>
>>What I already did:
>>=> I checked that no hw/sw installation have been carried out recently
>>=> I switched off all the services that aren't microsoft using
>>start->run->msconfig->services->hide all MS Services->disable all
>>=> I extracted the original rdbss.sys from the WinXP-SP2 original CD
>>=> I checked for viruses with AVG, apparently no problem

>
>Some further news. Following Mark's advice, I uninstalled and then
>reinstalled the usb drivers, but it didn't work. I suspected RAM chip
>failure, but Memtest, run for more than 10 hours, didn't report any
>problem.
>I've then discovered a very interesting thing: the problem comes even
>if I don't do absolutely nothing with the PC after boot. For a strange
>case, I switched on and I had to go for a while, so WinXP was waiting
>for the user password. After one hour, I wasn't able to log on anymore
>with the message:
> The application failed to initialize properly (0xaddress ).
> Click on OK to terminate the application


I solved the problem. Here's the end of the story:

- I started the PC with another OS not up-to-date (XP Home) on another
partition and realized that the failure was triggered exactly in the
same way, basically doing nothing.

- Excluded an OS-related issue (drivers, configuration, recent
conflicts, etc.) I looked to the hardware. First of all I disconnected
the usb DSL modem, as the main symptom was an ADSL line down after
30-60 minutes. The PC started to work fine immediately.

- changed the modem with another, everything works.



P.S. Meanwhile I discovered that one 200GB HD full of data is on the
verge to fail, although no clear symptoms at all. And it's still under
warranty... :)


--
Ciao, | R: Perche' incasina l'ordine con cui si legge un messaggio
Speck | D: Perche' quotare sotto da' cosi' fastidio?
| R: Quotare sotto.
| D: Qual e' la cosa piu' seccante su usenet e in e-mail?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23-09-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2
bumped because I have a problem with the same symptoms.
I have an airlink101 router, I use it as a WAP, and sometimes when it goes down, I have these issues too. Usually I'm not around when it goes down, but once every few days, I have this issue. This has happened at home (ADSL) and school (t3)

Is replacing the modem really a fix? I could probably do the same with my router, no hassle, but there's obviously a bug here we're avoiding by completely avoiding the scenario.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24-09-2008
Gerry
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rdbss.sys BSOD

Does the error occur during or after the boot process? Does the error
occur in safe mode?

Can you please post a copy of the Stop Error Report?

Disable automatic restart on system failure. This should help by
allowing time to write down the STOP code properly. Right click on
the My Computer icon on the Desktop and select Properties, Advanced,
Start-Up and Recovery, System Failure and uncheck box before
Automatically Restart.

Do not re-enable automatic restart on system failure. Check for variants
of the Stop Error message.


--



Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
lsdfreak wrote:
> bumped because I have a problem with the same symptoms.
> I have an airlink101 router, I use it as a WAP, and sometimes when it
> goes down, I have these issues too. Usually I'm not around when it
> goes down, but once every few days, I have this issue. This has
> happened at home (ADSL) and school (t3)
>
> Is replacing the modem -really- a fix? I could probably do the same
> with my router, no hassle, but there's obviously a bug here we're
> avoiding by completely avoiding the scenario.



Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25-09-2008
nass
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Rdbss.sys BSOD



"unknown" wrote:

>




Rdbss.sys is Redirected Drive Buffering SubSystem Driver.

rdbss.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers.You may
extract a fresh file from XP CD.
Or Run this command:
sfc /scannow
Reboot your machine and see if the issue will re4solve.

Did you checked the Event Viewer for error messages?
Update the Modem/Router Firmware from the manufacturer website.


Hotfix Download Available
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944505/en-us

Programs take longer than expected to start in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834937/en-us
HTH,
nass
---
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 25-09-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2
-.- mmm, please refer to op. I did the same troubleshooting after I read his post just to make sure we had a similar problem. To clarify, though:

--BSOD happens when I try to shut down. I can boot back up fine from off.

-- I have not done the RAM or USB tests in the follow-up posts.

-- I don't auto-restart on the BSOD, but I've just been too lazy to make sure we have the same stop code. Most of the time, I don't even bother getting the BSOD, I just power off knowing it'll be there.

I'll tell you what it is when my computer bugs out and I can trigger the BSOD. I'm letting the Intel proset/wireless program handle my connection now, though, so that might already be a fix.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Rdbss.sys BSOD"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting BSOD with new RAM Tobile Motherboard Processor & RAM 3 29-03-2011 07:05 AM
HP dv7 BSOD problem... llex_paul Windows Software 4 04-05-2009 08:14 PM
Why getting BSOD? Matteo Overclocking & Computer Modification 4 11-08-2008 05:19 PM
BSOD with new PC Jbregi Operating Systems 1 18-06-2008 11:29 AM
Vista BSOD, am unable to shutdown without BSOD, logoff OK Adele2 Vista Help 3 29-01-2007 08:59 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:22 AM.