Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Change drive letter?

Windows XP Support

Old 10-02-2008

Change drive letter?

I am in a huge problem and need some help. I have a drive backup store on my hard drive but this backup image was created when I was two systems on my computer. It was dual booted. On C it was vista and D was windows XP Pro. In the back it is showing up as D which I want to restore on C partition now. So I wanted to know if there is any way we can change the drive letter of the backup from D to C driver?

Can someone please tell me if it is possible? If yes, please let me know how. Many Thanks.

Old 10-02-2008

Re: Change drive letter?

If you keep the drive letter as it is, it will not will not hurt anything on D drive except your boot loader. It will stop working. However there is no way you can change the drive letter in backup image. As far as boot loader is concerned, once you restore the image you can fix the boot loader by going into recovery console using XP Installation Cd.

Just boot with your CD, press R to enter recovery console and run the following command in command prompt:

fixboot

And

fixmbr

That's it.
Old 10-02-2008

Re: Change drive letter?

Thank you very much for the help buddy. I will consider your solution but before that i am thinking to create a new backup image with the corrections!

Hope that helps.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,