Thread: switching windows users causes desktop icons to move

switching windows users causes desktop icons to move

I am getting a problem with my pc. Whenever I log off my pc I can see that on the other account the icons are just misplaced. I had kept the common settings for all user accounts but somehow it is not working. There are common application for all the users. And it look nice if it is arranged properly. But as I change the account the icons are moved. How can I keep them at the same place.

Re: switching windows users causes desktop icons to move

That is because a new theme is applied on every account. That is why the icons are moved. Each time when you create a new user account or a person switches it account the default them is applied. To keep everything same you will need to apply manual settings for each of them. While there is simply no other way to keep a common desktop for each account you login. You will need to apply gpo for the same.

Every account is going to get its own desktop. You can try editing the desktop.ini file in the user folders that might help you to apply common settings. Windows XP does not offers you any option for configuring multi-user environment. It has traditional settings for every desktop. And you can use it some level only. I am too searching for help on the same from long time. But till yet found nothing. I hope there will be some additions on the same in future updates.

Shenans reply

I think Gene understands that both his user accounts should be independant as do I.
    My problem is similar,I am using Vista home premium and if I log off main user to go to guest account then no problems on return. If i use switch without logging off,then on return to main user,as the screen blanks,it's almost as if there is a horizontal sidebar and all icons below that bar then rearrange above it. I hope I've been specific enough and am hoping that someone will be able to tell me how to lock my icons when I switch user accounts.HP support suggests system restore which seems like cracking a nut with a 50 megaton device!