Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Autorun.inf

Windows XP Support

Old 06-02-2008

Autorun.inf

I am running Windows XP OS. I have got some virus autorun.inf in the C root directory, when I am running the attribute command in the C root, then it is showing me autorun.inf? Is there anyone who can tell me how to remove this virus once and for all. Thanks.

Old 07-02-2008

You can try to open Command Prompt by going to Start and then Run and then type cmd and after that go to C:\ prompt and type: Del/ah/f Autorun.inf and do the same for each drive on your system. The autorun.inf files gets created automatically on each drive. So to detect this where is the infection coming from you will need to download Process Explorer by SysInternal from microsoft and check the Exe processes that do not have company information. After finding it, you will have to kill those processes but before doing that check its property and see the path its running from. This type of viruses copy themselves usually inside Windows or System32 folders.
Old 07-02-2008

Re: Autorun.inf

Did you try to install Autoruns as that can be the setup file for the utility, download it from the below link:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: