Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Can I display the full shortcut names on my desktop?

Windows XP Support

Old 31-01-2008

Can I display the full shortcut names on my desktop?

As my subject line says, I want to make my desktop icons show the complete name of the application. This is Windows XP running with Service Pack 3 and as you guys know the character limit set for these desktop icons is 18 characters, they truncate the name.

Is there any way we can make them display the complete name? If yes, please let me know how. Many Thanks.

Old 31-01-2008

Re: Can I display the full shortcut names on my desktop?

Yes, it is possible to increase the limit and make them display complete name. For doing the same, right click on desktop and go to Properties. Click Appearance > Advanced > Item. Here scroll down dropdown list to Icon Spacing (Horizontal) and change it to a larger number than the default (43) then change the Icon Spacing (Vertical) to a larger
number also.

That it. Now you can write longer names on your shortcut icons as there will be more room for the same.
Old 31-01-2008

I appreciate your help mauricio. Thanks for the same but it dint worked. By doing all those changes it just increased the space between icons but the character limit to name these icons is still upto 18 characters and this is what i wanted to increase.

Any other suggestions please?
Old 01-02-2008

Are you sure your character limit is upto 18 characters? Because even i am using XP and i have larger names on my shortcut. However, unless and until you single click any icon to high light it wont show up the complete name. You need to highlight them. Unless until you do, it will show just 10 to 18 characters on one line..

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,