Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

svchost.exe is taking most of my CPU usage

Windows XP Support

Old 29-01-2008

svchost.exe is taking most of my CPU usage

Hi, this is Windows XP SP3 based HP Laptop. Since last couple of days I am noticing my system is getting slower and slower day by day. After doing some troubleshoot I found that a process svchost.exe is eating up a huge memory and resources alone. Once I killed it the system became normal. So it was svchost.exe slowing down my PC.

Now the problem is it keeps appearing again and again and slowing down the system. I need to kill it more than 10 times a day to keep my system normal. Can anyone please tell me what is it related to and how can I get rid of the same permanently? Many Thanks.

Old 29-01-2008

Re: svchost.exe is taking most of my CPU usage

In order to troubleshoot this problem you will need to download a tool called Process Explorer: You can download the same from here http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx
  • Once installed open Process Explorer and go to taskbar.
  • Select View and check 'Show Process Tree' and 'Show Lower Pane' options.
  • Now expand the process named 'Explorer' (click on the + sign)
  • In the column on the left named 'CPU', look for any high CPU usage.
  • Next click on the CPU column to sort the processes by %CPU usage (Highest to Lowest).
  • Then click on the process that's using most or all the CPU % to highlight it,
  • Now that it's highlighted, right click and from the options listed select: Search Online
  • This should display what out there on the web about that process.
  • You can also double click on any process to open up a more detailed 'Properties' window.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,