Thread: Windows Explorer opens in new window everytime

Windows Explorer opens in new window everytime

I am getting a issue with my system. This looks like some kind of virus problem. Each time when I open any partition or folder it is opening in new window. This never happened before. It started appearing on its own. How can I restore the settings back again. In order to get inside some folder it opens again and again multiple times. I am a bit annoyed with the same. I am not willing to format my system and install all stuff back again.

This is just a minor issue. I do not think it is a virus problem. You can simply disable that through windows registry. For that from start click on run and in that type regedit and hit enter. In that you can find a location HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell. Here the default value is none. If you find any changes just set the same to none and then check back. Once it is done just restart your pc.

It is a virus issue. I had also faced the problem before. My entire system was infected. It is a trojan virus. Scan your system under safe mode and then check back. The best antivirus for dealing with this kind of issue is Norton. You can simply download a trial edition and scan your system through that. It will heal the folders and files which are causing the issue. Avoid double clicking on folders. The more you click the more it will spread.

It is a trojan virus. It converts your folder to .exe file. When you double click on that a new window opens that triggers the virus and it keeps on spreading in your system. It is extremely annoying and not issue to remove. You have to take your data backup. But you have to check. Inside each folder there is a folder with the same name. Like inside Movie folder there will be another folder as movie.exe. It is the virus. Copy the files not the folder or else it will enter back in your system.

Open My Computer and go in Folder option. There are some settings that you can configure from here. There is a option available which says open each folder in single window. If this is disabled then every time when you open anything a new window comes up. You can simply check the options and then disable the settings. If there is no virus issue then this settings will help you to fix the problem.

Type the following in your Start > Run box and hit enter. reg add hkcr\drive\shell /ve /d none /f. This is the easiest way to fix the registry value related to new window. Because you might be not able to find out the right option in windows registry but by this the default value will be assigned. But if this does not work then there is a virus issue. Scan your system in safe mode.

There are some nice bootable scanners that available. This can be downloaded from web. This scanners scan your system from root level. Whatever infections detected are wiped out. While when you scan your system in Windows it is not so much effective. It is essential that you use the bootable scanner and check for virus. Your system is almost flooded with infection and it will be really not easy to put your old settings back.

It is really very irritating. I got the issue on my laptop. First when I double click on C or D each time a new window opens up. Then after a few days when I double click on any folder inside C or D rive it does nothing. I checked the file type which was converted to .exe from a folder. I cannot access it. I can only see the inside files by manually typing the address on My Computer address bar. It was a virus. It was gone only when I formatted the system completely.

Scanning will not help much if you are not having a good antivirus. I was using avg before where I found a similar issue of virus infection. Later on I simply use norton and it worked. Norton is a good antivirus but a bit resource intensive. It makes the pc slower. It is necessary that you must have good amount of ram to use it.

Try to delete the autorun.inf file in folders and then see. Sometime the issue also occur due to some autorrun file and it easily gets infected by virus. Once the virus enters your system completely there are ample of new problem appears. It is essential that you must keep your antivirus updated and scan your system at the end of every weekend.