Thread: Net Framework 2.0 SP1 and 3.0 SP1 won't install

Net Framework 2.0 SP1 and 3.0 SP1 won't install

This is Windows xp system. I want to install Service Pack 1 for my Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0 but it is getting failed every time. Installation starts but gets quit in between.

Any idea what is wrong and how I can get SP1 installed successfully? Many Thanks.

Re: Net Framework 2.0 SP1 and 3.0 SP1 won't install

Hey, even I am having the same problem. Even I am trying to install Net Framework SP1 but no success. I tried searching for help on Google, MS Support and several other forums but dint found any working solution. Whenever I try to install the yellow mark keeps coming up and I kept submitting the error report to MS. Lets see what happens.

Are you able to other exe files on your system? I am asking this to confirm if the problem is not with your Windows Installer. Anyways, just try out this. First uninstall .Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0 using Add/Remove Programs. Download Windows Installer Cleanup utility and clean your PC to remove left over files after uninstalling framework. Reboot the PC and turn off your security programs. Now reinstall .Net Framework 2.0 first separately. Now reinstall the updates and restart Windows one at a time. And then install 3.0 and SP1 one by one. It should work fine.

That is absolutely correct HELLIAN but let me add something to this. before uninstalling or re-installing Net Framework make sure to create a System restore point manually because Windows Installer Cleanup tool may remove some important entries as which should be removed. In such case if anything goes wrong you can simply restore your system back.

Thank you so much for the help Hellian, that really worked. The SP1 is shown in Control Panel/Add Remove Programs. So a successful download, I think.