Thread: WMP 11 won't play WMV files

WMP 11 won't play WMV files

I need help with Windows Media Player. I am facing problem with Windows Media Player 11. It is simply not working well. When I try to play WMV files on that it is not working. I am using Windows XP SP2 here. But somehow there is a problem with the wmv file format. It is not working. When I try to run those file I am getting a error that Media Player is not playing wmv file format. The player does not support or does not has the codec. What should I do.

RE: WMP 11 won't play WMV files

You will need to install a codec pack in your pc. You can find the download on web. Download and install Klite Codec pack in your pc and then test back. The pack is available for free. There are chances that some format will not be played by Windows Media player due to codec issue. You can also try to run windows update and then check back.

RE: WMP 11 won't play WMV files

WMV files is supported by Windows Media player. It is not a issue with the codec pack. It is recommended that you install it back again and then run updates. That will make it more stable. Just check that any new version of Windows Media Player is available. Update that and then try once again. I am sure that will be quiet enough to fix the codec problem you are facing. If after re-installing you get the same issue then you can simply download a third party codec pack.

Re: WMP 11 won't play WMV files

Download and install vlc media player in your pc. It is a worth media player. It supports almost every format and has no issue with various media format. It is available for free also. I use this as my default media player and has no issue with it. It has support for long list of audio and video files. And there is no need to install any third party codec on the same also. I think you must check this one and then try back.

Re: WMP 11 won't play WMV files

There is a link below which has a hotfix available for the problem you are facing. This is a common issue and Microsoft Offers a hotfix for the same. You can get the same via windows update also. Just download the below hot fix and apply th same in your pc. That's all. Windows Media Player will start working. The error appear due to some missing files which is restored buy this hotfix.

FIX: Windows Media Player 11 cannot play WMV files that contain multiple video streams