Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

missing system tray notification for automatic updates

Windows XP Support

Old 23-01-2008

missing system tray notification for automatic updates

I am running Windows XP Sp2 and it is configured to download updates but not automatically install them. If I shut down the system, then I am given an option to install the updates as part of the shutdown procedure, but I dont get the automatic updates icon in the system tray that I can use to see what updates are ready to be installed? Can anyone tell me how to solve this issue? Thanks.

Old 23-01-2008

RE: missing system tray notification for automatic updates

Since you are not able to see the update icon in the notification area of the taskbar, then you might have some issues in your profile "Theme" files. So you can try to download the Repair Tool Plus! from here http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
Old 23-01-2008

RE: missing system tray notification for automatic updates

Thanks for that, it looks to be a resourceful tool, but it will not restore the automatic updates notification icon? So do you have any other solution? Thanks.
Old 23-01-2008

Re: missing system tray notification for automatic updates

Well, you can try to go to Start and then Run and then type - sysdm.cpl. After that the update tab will let you to turn off the updates. Now you have restart the computer and then turn them back again. It will change some what of the settings.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,