Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

I receive "The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, has a bad block."

Windows XP Support

Old 30-04-2005

I receive "The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, has a bad block."

I am getting constantly a weird message on my screen. The error is the device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, has a bad block. I am not able to get any solution the issue. When the system boots up the error just appear on the screen. I need some help here to fix it. It looks like some kind of serious hard drive error. I am having three partition in my pc. Which is C, E and F. I checked all the partition which looks like working fine.

Old 30-04-2005

RE: I receive "The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, has a bad block."

It looks like issue with some missing drive. It can be the CD/DVD rom. There are some applications in the pc which is accessing the drive and when it is not found you get the error on the screen. Sometime the issue also due to removable storage. You have to verify the same and then test back. Go in event viewer you can find more information on the error in it and it will help you to fix the problem also.
Old 01-05-2005

Re: I receive "The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, has a bad block."

It looks like some issue with the drive detection. I will recommend you to check the drives in your pc. I got the error before on my system due to a second drive. I had installed some applications on the same and then I disconnected the drive. I got the same error on the screen. The issue was resolved once the application connected was removed. So just check that you are having some application like daemon tools. Just remove it and then check back.
Old 05-05-2005

It is the dvd drive. The optical drive. Go in Device Manager and then just check whether the optical drive is installed or not. You can try to update the firmware or drivers of the same and then check back. I got the issue with an IDE drive long before. I changed the cable and it worked fine there is no issue at all. Just turn of your pc and go in bios and see that the optical drive and harddisk is properly directed or not. Just verify the cables and then check back.
Old 07-04-2010

There can be bad sectors in your pc. It is necessary that you must run a good disk analyzing software that can scan your hard drive system and look for bad sectors. It is quiet important to find them before your drive got dead completely. It is essential that you backup your data first and then move ahead with the troubleshooting stuff. Such problem appears due to bad sectors.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,