Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Activation Issue - WindowsXP Pro OEM

Windows XP Support

Old 21-01-2008

Activation Issue - WindowsXP Pro OEM

I am getting some problem activating the copy of Windows XP OEM that I have. I purchased it off from Ebay and by all appearances, its a general OEM version as there are no markings to indicate its from a big name OEM like Dell or HP. It will install properly but when I go to activate then it compains about "unauthorized product key". Below is the whole error message that I am getting

"This product key is unauthorized. Activation cannot be completed until a valid product key is entered. The 25-digit product key can be found on the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) label attached to your computer or Windows documentation. It should be similar to the example below. Please correct the product key below or type a valid product key, and then press Retry."

Can anyone please help

Old 21-01-2008

Re: Activation Issue - WindowsXP Pro OEM

Well, even if you try to do the automated phone activation I dont think it is going to work for you. You can try to get some help from real person and dont need to pay for technical support to do that.
Old 21-01-2008

Can you check the Systm Date and Time and ensure that its correct because if it is not then it might possibly be a problem. Also have you made sure tat the key is not for XP home. Incase you have legit XP home key then it will not activate XP Pro. If that is the case then you will have to contact the seller and possibly ebay for the problem that you are facing.
Old 06-04-2010

For everyone trying to use XP Pro Oem, please go to "Windows Xp Wikipedia"
and scroll down to "Product Activation" and on down from there.
You will get quite an education from this blurb, and probably never buy another OEM version again. Unless you don't plan on getting onto the internet or deactivate any windows updates.
I am returning 30 OEM copies (All with good Keys) of Win Xp Pro tomorrow to a seller on E-bay because of just the problem laid out in this back and forth.
Even if you have a System Builder OEM version you will end up having constant validation problems.
BUY THE FULL VERSION (I just got one for $147.00).
Bill Gates is a far better business man than a computer geek.
Just look at his latest philanthropic efforts in India; they write his software...
I am also old enough to remember a better GUI software than Windows back in the 70's that old Mr Gates bought and buried so he would not have the competition.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , , ,