Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to read a Mini .dmp file

Windows XP Support

Old 30-04-2005

How to read a Mini .dmp file

Hello, Iím facing some critical problem with my Windows XP desktop. It restarts automatically any time it wants. N matter I am working with any heavy software or the system is kept idle, xp restarts itself. And when it comes back and I sign in, iuse to get a pop with message saying it recovered from a serious error and shows me log files. Under the log there are some .txt and the .xml files which can open properly but .dmp file wont open with any program.

What I want from you guys is please help me to either fix this restart problem or let me know how can I open this .dmp file. Thanks in advance.

Old 30-04-2005

Re: How to read a Mini .dmp file

As far as opening the .dmp file is concerned, you can do that by going to:
  • Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
  • Change to the Debugging Tools for Windows folder. To do this, type the following at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:
cd c:\program files\debugging tools for windows
  • To load the dump file into a debugger, type one of the following commands, and then press ENTER:
windbg -y SymbolPath -i ImagePath -z DumpFilePath
kd -y SymbolPath -i ImagePath -z DumpFilePath

But the restart problem is because of BSOD. You should check out this MS KB Article and follow the procedure provided: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q315263

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,