Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Icon text background not transparent

Windows XP Support

Old 19-01-2008

Icon text background not transparent

I am trying to make the background behind the icon desktop icons text transparent. I already went to System Properties > Advanced > Performance Settings > Visual Effects and checked "use drop shadows for icon labels". I also ensured that "Lock Web Items on Desktop" is unchecked on desktop properties under Arrange by. I also went to the desktop properties and clicked on the Customize button and then on the web tab I ensured there are no check marks in that window. Can anyone tell me what can I do to make that icon background transparent? Thanks.

Old 08-03-2009

Re: Icon text background not transparent

There seem to be multiple causes for this problem. Like you, I tried the posted solutions of checking "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" (it was already checked) and I unchecked the "Lock desktop items" box (it was already unchecked) and did not solve my problem. I noticed, however, that in control box->display->desktop->web that I had a web page specified that did not appear to be real and that was checked. I unchecked the box and presto! the text background went to transparent. I deleted with errant web page reference with no apparent ill effects. In subsequent tests, I created false web pages and they always caused the icon text box to turn blue with white text. This was a sudden problem and I believe it is created by malware.

Last edited by chipsmith : 08-03-2009 at 04:36 AM. Reason: corrected incorrect word
Old 08-03-2009

Like you, this was a HUGE problem for me, and even Chipsmith's feedback couldn't help me.

But finally i found the solution, which is actually kind of silly:

You need to save your wallpaper as a .JPG file, or else this won't work AT ALL!
This is what worked for me :)

you can also use a third party software called " microangelo on display " which worked for me as charm :) hope this helps
Old 23-01-2010

Re: Icon text background not transparent

You need to disable your Active desk top... believe me, I tried everything else and this is the only thing that worked. :)

Microsoft Windows XP users

Open the Control Panel.
Open the Display icon.
Click the Desktop tab.
Click the Customize Desktop button.
Click the Web tab in the Desktop Items window.
If you wish to enable the Active Desktop, check My Current Home Page. Add your current home page into your desktop or click New to add another web page and/or other Active Desktop features. To update the content, click the Synchronize button.

If you wish to disable Active Desktop, make sure all checkboxes in this window are un-checked.

Microsoft Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 users:

Open the Control Panel.
Open the Display icon.
Click the Web tab in the Display Properties window.
If you wish to enable the Active Desktop, check the checkbox for "Show Web content on my Active Desktop" and select the home page you wish to use as the active desktop.

If you wish to disable Active Desktop, make sure that "Show Web content on my Active Desktop" is unchecked.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,