Thread: Win Backup - shadow copy

Win Backup - shadow copy

I have a Shadow copy of my earlier Windows XP backup but don’t know why it wont work. Somebody told me that it may work fine after windows xp re-install. Well there was no sense but still I gave it a try. Re-installed Windows XP but yet the Shadow copy wont works. Any idea what could be wrong and how can I fix the same?

Many Thanks.

RE: Win Backup - shadow copy

Well the problem is with ntbackup.exe, it still has few bugs in functionality. Hence you need some another and better backup tool. By the way, did you tries 'Files and Settings Transfer Wizard' ? It is far better than that. You can access the same from your XP Start Menu. Give it a try.

Re: Win Backup - shadow copy

So are you saying that the Volume Shadow Copy service (VSS) never changes from Manual to Start mode? VSS is configured, by default, for manual mode. That means it is not started (and running) unless a client process asks it to start. It would only start if an application used VSS. About anywhere up to 18 minutes after the applications closes will VSS change from Started to Manual. You didn't happen to configure VSS to be Disabled, did you? Did you include any system-state files in the backup? Have you check Event Viewer to see if there were errors during the backup? Are you running a Terminal Server client on your host (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888603/en-us)? Is the "Disable volume shadow copy" option UNCHECKED (not selected) in the advanced dialog for the backup job?

Are we to guess if you are using the Home or Professional version of Windows XP? If Home, did you install the Backup program (ntbackup.exe is not included, by default, when installing WinXP Home)? Or are you asking about some other "Win Backup" program than ntbackup.exe? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/104169/en-us