Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

"Cannot Install Hardware ....

Windows XP Support

Old 17-01-2008

"Cannot Install Hardware ....

I am using a Dell laptop with Windows XP Pro updated with all latest Windows Updates. I never had any problem with this computer but since last 2 days it is not recognizing any of external devices like Pen Driver, camcorder, external HDD 3G modem or anything. Whenever I connect anything it pop ups a message in System Tray saying ?USB Mass Storage? but just after few seconds, I get the following error pop up:

?Cannot Install Hardware.
An error occurred during the installation of this device. The Data is invalid.?

Apart from this one more strange thing happened on this system is when I went to device manager I can see a device listed under Other options. It seems to be not installed. Hence I thought I should remove the same but when I try to remove it locks up my Entire system and the only way to make it normal is by hard reboot.

I have no idea what is going on. Hope someone from here can help me out. Thank you.

Old 16-02-2008

Re: "Cannot Install Hardware ....

To me it seems like a result of device conflict. Did you checked the MSCONFIG > Startup list? Is there any thing listed odd. I will suggest you to remove all unwanted programs from the startup list and restart the system. I am sure this will fix the problem.

Apart from this i will suggest you to always remove external devices by Safe to Remove option. I have seen many cases if you remove it directly , they may cause such device errors.
Old 14-05-2008

RE: "Cannot Install Hardware ....

Hey Victor, did you managed to fix the problem? Did you found any working solution? Please let me know as well as i I have exactly the same problem with a wireless mouse, a USB flash drive, or any usb device. These all started all of a sudden. Somebody please help.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: