Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Assigning Drive Letter for Hard Drive During Install

Windows XP Support

Old 15-01-2008

Assigning Drive Letter for Hard Drive During Install

I assembled a new PC and going to install Windows XP Home edition on the same later today. But before I wanted to know if there is any way I can assign Drive Letter as C during the installation itself? I know the Windows works best when the hard drive is designated as "C," and for some reason this does not happen when I install it. Hence if there is any possible way assigning letter during installation process, please let me know how.

Many Thanks.

Old 15-01-2008

Re: Assigning Drive Letter for Hard Drive During Install

As far as I know when you install Windows it allows you to select the partition on which windows should be installed and there use to be the driver letters already, right? Are you trying to install on new Hard Drive? If yes, still when you create a partition, it will be C by default.

Do you have more than 1 HDD? How many partitions have you got on these hard disks? How many operating systems do you have installed on the computer?
Old 15-01-2008

Re: Assigning Drive Letter for Hard Drive During Install

Hello m3pilot, Nope, you cannot assign Drive letters during installation. There is no way of doing the same. Usually this is caused by USB drives as internal card readers. In case you will disable USB in the BIOS before starting the installation and enable it after installation, then automatically your XP will be installed on C: drive itself if it is installed on the first non hidden primary partition of the drive. Hope you understood.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,