Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Keyboard Still Won't Work on Startup

Windows XP Support

Old 15-01-2008

Keyboard Still Won't Work on Startup

I have already removed and reinstalled the keyboard driver but the issue still happens. I can only get it to work by doing an error check, disk check, after a hard shutdown. I actually dont want to use a usb keyboard because all the usb ports are in use already. I have a very old machine and it has started to give me problems just some time back. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks

Old 15-01-2008

Re: Keyboard Still Won't Work on Startup

Can you try to boot to the Recovery Console, and run the command :
CHKDSK /R

Also follow the article on "Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console":
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;314058
Old 15-01-2008

It could be that the ps/2 port seems to be bad. It happens sometimes due to an internal short and one can use either a ps/2 keyboard or a ps/2 mouse but not both. If that is what happened then the only way you can get away from using an USB device.
Old 15-01-2008

Can you be more specific what you are trying to tell me. The term recovery console is new to me. I read the description you referred me to and it appears that I'll have to install the console first. When you say boot to the recovery console how do I do that? Also, assuming I do that correctly and run CHKDSK /R, what do I do after that? Thanks.
Old 15-01-2008

I dont think there is any such thing as a serial keyboard. If your mouse port and keyboard port are round and look exactly alike they are ps/2. There is no way that you could possibly have a serial port keyboard but it is possible to use a serial mouse though they are generally considered obsolete.
Old 18-01-2008

I have purchased an expensive Usb keyboard and it is working fine now. Thanks for all the replies.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: