Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Folder options missing??

Windows XP Support

Old 14-01-2008

Folder options missing??

This is Windows XP running with Service Pack 3. I have kept some folders hidden containing important documents. Today morning I went to folder options and selected ?Show hidden folders? to access the files. I did my work and forget to hide them again and restarted PC due to some reasons. After restart when I went again to Folder options to hide the files, surprisingly there is no folder options any more.

I have never seen such problem on my systems. What went wrong with just a reboot? How can I get the option back? Please help.

Old 14-01-2008

Re: Folder options missing??

Well there would have been some registry conflict due to which the option is disabled. But there is nothing to worry about. You can fix the registry by simply running the .following reg file.

Restore Folder Options Under Tools

Download and save the file on your desktop. Double click to run. If prompted for permission click yes and you will be done.
Old 16-01-2008

Re: Folder options missing??

There is "NoFolderOptions" policy in windows which use to hide that option. You can get it back by making the following change in registry:
  • Click Start > RUN > type regedit and press ENter.
  • Now navigate to the following key:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
  • -and-
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
  • Backup the keys, and delete the "NoFolderOptions" value in the right pane.

Thats it.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support