Thread: Speakers work but headphones do not?

Speakers work but headphones do not?

Hope you understand what I meant by the title. Its windows xp based computer where speakers are working fine but when I am plugging in the headphones, they wont work. Only headphones are not working no matter I remove the speakers or speakers plugged in. I don’t think my headphone is gone because have tried with various headphones, same problem. Please help.

RE: Speakers work but headphones do not?

Did you tired connecting the headphones in the same jack where speakers are connected? If no, you should try out because the jacks too could be faulty. Try different jacks as well. If you are trying to connect the heaphones in front jack than FYI there are few conditions for making the jack work proper:

Make sure the cd drive with the jack is having a small plug in the back connected with the soundcard via thin wire. Also the small volumn 'wheel' in the cd drive front face must be adjusted to loud enough. The cd drive Properties (and properties tab) in device manager has a volume slider. You can reach here by going to Start > RUN > Type devmgmt.msc. Now double click the cd drive entry and check its property tab for slider

Re: Speakers work but headphones do not?

First of all if am not wrong, the problem is with the Laptop I guess, and not a desktop computer. And as far as I know the speaker jacks in laptop or notebooks wont go through CD drive. It use to be like the ones we had in our system, that is usually connected with the motherboard. So, if your headphone jack is not connected like the speaker jack than obviously it will not work and speakers will not get disconnected. Other than this the guy with problem should check out the mixer settings. May be there might be some settings he is missing.

Re: On VISTA Speakers work but headphones do not?

I had this problem on Vista when I plugged in headphones into the analog jack on my laptop. I could hear sound through the headphones, but the laptop speakers stopped working when the headphones were not plugged in to the laptop. Windows device manager couldn't find any problems with the headphones or the internal speakers. I did a backup on Vista's Backup and Restore Center that used all the laptop memory allocated on the laptop to drive D. I kept getting a error message pop-up that drive D was full - back up required. I need to buy new DVD-RW to do the new backup on external media and was putting off that task. I deleted all the files in my backup except the folder. Still no sound. Then I went in and deleted the whole folder and viola! The speakers began to work again. Don't ask me why!

Was having the similar problem. Mine headphones were working good but recently I bought a new headphone for my same system but the new ones (when tried to connect ) were not turning on. Seems like the jack is blocked.

For troubleshooting I opened Control panel and went to sound >speach > advanced . here I changed my speaker settings . I found that my Stero speakers were turned off. I turn them on and the problem solved. ...I hope this helps.

go to start, control panel, realtek HD sound effect manager, Audio I/O. click on x in front of Analog. tick on front panel support. I hope it will work