Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Automatic Update Restart dialogue box wont go away

Windows XP Support

Old 02-01-2008

Automatic Update Restart dialogue box wont go away

I am having Windows XP SP2 installed on my Dell machine. The automatic updates is configured so that I am prompted before anything is updated and installd. After the most recent Security Update for Windows, the automatic update restart dialogue popped up. I then restarted my computer but the dialogue continued to pop up no matter how many times i restarted and I cannot get it to go away. Does anyone know how to solve this? Thanks

Old 02-01-2008

RE: Automatic Update Restart dialogue box wont go away

You are getting the restart which is by design and it is expected to behave that way, it cannot be turned off. Incase the security update is desired, so is the restart that makes it function. Incase you dont want to restart, then you will have to refuse the update.
Old 03-01-2008

It might be that the update could be failing. Try to to a reinstall attempt on restart. Check the below link for more information:

You cannot install some updates or programs:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;822798
Old 03-01-2008

Can you try to go to the Ms updates site and run the updates engine, and then choose the Custom instead of the Express. After that on the Custom after the engine search for the available updates for your machine you can elect to uncheck the check box beside each update you think may be installed but offered again to you. To be sure you can check your History of updates and see if All the Updates are success or there is something failed somewhere and use the help to see how to install it again.
Old 04-01-2008

Can you try to turn off the auto-update (run sysdm.cpl) and do a 'custom' install to uncheck the update and offer for 'do not ask again'. See if that works for you.
Old 09-03-2008

Can you try to repair the updates engine. Just copy and paste the below into a notepad and then save it as Reg.bat on your Desktop then double click the Reg.bat to execute it and click "YES" to register the Required DLLs for the windows updates engine.

regsvr32 Msxml.dll
regsvr32 Msxml2.dll
regsvr32 atl.dll
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 inetcomm.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
regsvr32 cryptsvc.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 qmgr.dll
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
net start wuauserv

Also check the below articles on:

You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883821

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: